As we settle into the fall season, here are 10 general home maintenance tasks that you should take care of:
- Ensure your fireplace is in safe, working order. This can be done by hiring an expert to check it for you.
- Check that the batteries in your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are working.
- Caulk and seal all open areas. This is especially important during seasons with quite a bit of moisture. Making sure everything is caulked and sealed in your home will prevent future rot and mold issues.
- Fill in any gaps in the concrete in your driveway or front patio.
- Clean out your gutters. This will prevent ice from damming during winter storms.
- Get your furnace checked and serviced. As we get closer to winter, it can take longer to schedule this kind of checkup, so do it now and make sure your HVAC unit is working properly.
- Change the filters on your furnace and humidifier.
- Winterize your sprinkler system.
- Drain your hoses and spigots by shutting them off from the inside.
- Make sure your spigots are insulated. You can buy inexpensive caps at Lowes and Home Depot.
If you have any more questions about how to prepare your home for the fall and winter, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’d be glad to help you.