The 6 Steps to Start Your Home Buying Process the Right Way
People often ask me what they should do first when they start thinking about buying a new home. Actually, there are six main steps you should take to start your home search off right.
- Figure out the areas you are interested in. A good agent should help you think through what you’re looking for in terms of location. This includes looking at nearby school districts, amenities, etc.
- Consider what condition you want the house to be in. Some people want to customize the house themselves, and don’t mind the extra work of taking on upgrades and repairs. Yet other buyers may not want to deal with any such projects, and would rather find a move-in ready home.
- Think about what size of home are you looking for. Oftentimes, size is dictated by location and price point.
- Determine the price point are you comfortable with. A quality agent will recommend that you speak with a lender about your finances to determine what your home buying budget will look like. It is important to work with a local lender, though, because they will understand your specific market. Additionally, the financing regulations vary depending on the state, so a local lender will be more well-equipped than one working remotely to help facilitate your deal.
- Get pre-approved. Most sellers will not accept an offer from you without knowing that you are pre-approved.
- Start looking for a new home. We recommend that you keep your search really broad to begin with. This way, once you land on the home you want to make an offer on, you’ll feel confident that it is the right home for you.
Before you start looking at a home, though, your agent should sit down with you and talk you through the entire buying process. This makes the transaction smoother and more fun, and will make sure you don’t encounter unpleasant surprises at every turn.
If you have any questions about this or are interested in buying or selling, please feel free to reach out to me by phone or email. I look forward to speaking with you soon.